Finish a great workout? Looking to refuel? Try making a delicious protein smoothie! Different from a protein shake (which usually consists of just protein powder and water or milk), these smoothies can provide you with plenty body-friendly, muscle-mending nutrients.
Have on hand some easy ingredients, and follow these simple steps. You’ll be on your way to producing a powerhouse in a glass in no time!
Step 1: Choose the liquid base.
- The first step in any smoothie is the liquid base. Try creamy, tasty milk – coconut, almond, soy, hemp or two percent. The possibilities are almost endless. You name it, and there is probably milk made out of it. Adding 1-1 ½ cups should do the trick (or add some water for a larger smoothie without increasing the calories).
Step 2: Add protein powder.
- Nowadays, there is a protein powder for everyone. You can go with a whey and casein mix – the two main proteins in milk – for a powder filled with amino acids. If you’re sensitive to lactose and prefer one without whey, Livestrong.com suggests using a soy, pea, or wheat protein powder. Generally, one scoop or 20-25 grams of protein powder is sufficient.
Step 3: Throw in fruits and veggies.
- Now comes the color. And the fiber, vitamins and antioxidants! Toss in fruits and vegetables with your base and protein powder. Try these tasty pairings:
|Vanilla||Most fruits and veggies work well|
|Chocolate||Bananas, berries, cherries, all veggies|
|Misc., including flavors like cinnamon bun or cookies and cream||Spinach or kale|
|Flavorless||Any fruit or veggie. Pick your favorite.|
Step it up with seeds, spices, oil and nut butters
- For even more good-for-you elements, add a sprinkle, pinch or dollop of one or two of these ingredients:
- Flax or chia seeds (2 T of chia seeds have as much Omega-3 fatty acids as 4 ounces of salmon)
- Add-ins such as cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice or vanilla extract
- Coconut, grapeseed or avocado oil
- Peanut, almond, cashew or sunflower butter
If your added fruit is not frozen, throw in a few ice cubes and blend everything together. Enjoy it while you brainstorm your next smoothie combination!